Thursday, May 25, 2006

smileys or...not!

Tuesday was the first warm day for a long, long time. It was appreciated so much more too because of the misery of the May24Weekend. For non-Canadians who might not know, the May24Weekend is the first long weekend of "the Season", when cottagers traditionally make the treck out of the city to open the cottage, when the daring go camping, and "summer" has traditionally, if not officially, begun. It was actually Queen Victoria's birthday, but was declared a national holiday when we celebrate the Queen/King's birthday in Canada. I understand Australia celebrates on a different day.

Aa--ny--way! In my recent memory, the May24Weekend has been miserable, like the last kick at the can for old winter. Even after a week or two of lovely weather that we have had some years in May, the May24Weekend will arrive with rain and cold and even snow and ice-pellets in some areas. This year was no exception and we had a week of rainy cool weather the whole week before.

That is why Tuesday this week was so GREAT! I was out in the garden all day. I puttered and I planted and I weeded. I tell you, I was in bliss. The vege garden is finally taking shape. My plans have been altered a little, partly due to a shady corner, partly due to considerations of personal preference, etc. That's part of the fun. So, there I was, so blissfully absorbed that I did not notice that my shirt tail was not meeting my pants' waist whenever I bent over, and that was also for most of the day! And I am trying to be so careful about sunburn these days, wear hats, etc. etc.

At the end of the day I found I had a perfect bright pink crescent-shaped sunburn on my back. Imagine a red crescent moon on it's back in the middle of my back. When I stand up, it's smiling! When I bend over, it's frowning! If you can picture this, I feel a little sorry for you. But I feel more sorry for me, because like all sunburns, no matter how ridiculous the pattern, it hurts -- JUST A LITTLE! It's ridiculous!

4 Comments:

Blogger TraceyF said...

Its about time we got some decent weather!! Lets hope it stays!

9:17 p.m.  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

Ahh how wonderful to feel your first sunburn after a long Ontario winter! It is so.o.o. good to be out in the sun..when we have it rain and overcast quite a bit :( Now I must run out and get kissed by the sun! :)

9:51 a.m.  
Blogger Madcap said...

Ow, ow, ow. Hope that's healed up for you by now.

10:50 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Oh yes, Ontario weather: from one extreme to the other! Winter coats and mitts one day, sweltering the next! The burn is better--looking like an ugly rash now :)

1:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home