Tuesday, June 06, 2006

changes

The big news is that Ann, according to her previously mentioned plan, has announced that she will be leaving for California at the beginning of July. Sharing this house with Ann has been a great experience. Through her, I have been exposed to so many new writers and thinkers, particularly around the topic of money, wealth and creativity. Thanks, Ann for so generously sharing those great finds with me!

New changes are coming. I will either have to find a new house-mate to share the expenses with, or decide if I can afford to stay on by myself.

And as Ann has no interest in the vegetable garden this year, I have expanded my operation!

So, on the left, the new asparagus is coming along, and on the right, in front, the lovage towering higher than my head already. Beside it the lemon balm. Next beds, on the left, garlic and French tarragon. Behind the lovage, pinks, coriander, clary sage. Third bed, from the left was seeded with a couple varieties of mesclun (mixed seeds of salad greens), dill, coriander, beets and on the right end are more garlic. Behind that from the right was supposed to have climbing peas and onions. I've popped some extra pepper plants in there under the plastic bags. Beyond that, from the right, half the bed is empty and the other half has garlic. Beyond that is the New Part (see below).
OK. So here we have on the left, the lemon balm (Melissa officinalis); pinks, clary sage and coriander in the bed behind it; garlic in the third bed; onions, (what I had hoped would be peas) and peppers in the fourth; and more garlic beyond that. (That was repetitive, I know. )

On the right, in front are the new rhubarb plants; a cutting bed of cosmos and zinnias is behind that; zucchini and cantaloupe (will they crossbreed as I have heard???); then everbearing strawberries in the fourth bed; beoynd the strawberries are lots of gladioli. On the right, I have managed to tidy up the raspberry bed a bit. I still need some sturdy stakes and wire to keep the canes upright. This is the first half of the garden, the part we cultivated last year. Beyond that is the New Part.

The New Part starts where the garden hose jigs to the left to avoid the bed of leeks and peas at the end of the path. The New Part is a square arranged into four quarters on a diamond-shaped centre. The water barrel stands in the middle of the diamond-centre. Some part of me loves geometric quilt-like shapes to the beds and paths in a vegetable garden!

Of what is visible of the New Part, on the right, is a narrow hedge of lavender and a Bronze Fennel. Then the corn, climbing beans and squash (as per Native American legend). The bed that dead-ends the path in the center of the photo has leeks and peas, as I already mentioned. Behind that are more beans, for fresh picking and drying. Beyond the water barrel are eggplant, peppers, potatoes. The tomatoes (surrounded with plastic grocery bags for now) at the far right end are interplanted with a purple basil, carrots, bunching onions and a lemon basil. I left a spectacular golden rod in place at the edge of the garden, the large bunch of green growth you see behind the potatoes!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's looking good so far--and I love the metal headboard at the front of the garden! I'm also glad to hear that you have a silver lining (more garden space) to losing your roommate.

9:08 a.m.  
Blogger Randa said...

I am just about weeping with the beauty and organization of your garden, and the love that obviously goes into it! I seem to have a mental block when it comes to making a structured garden such as yours. My husband laughs at how I can't plant a straight line of seeds, and how I can't make a square bed, and how I just generally fail at the veg garden.

I've been cleaning out my Holding Bed, and popping my veg plants in the pockets which are opening up. I seem to be more comfortable creating a 'patchwork' vegetable garden, interspersed among the lupins and irises!

3:01 p.m.  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

I hope you don't have to leave after all you have put into your vegetable garden! It looks great.

9:12 a.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

If my garden is beautiful, it is because I love being in it. As for failures...I am in a constant puzzle and making revisions all the time. I don't do gardening "in ink". I accept that I'm a "pencil and eraser" gadener.

2:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home