Tuesday, October 30, 2007

history/hysteria

I get teased sometimes for living on "millionaire row", but that's not true at all. Oh, don't get me wrong: my home is lovely, eccentric maybe, an old farmhouse set well back from the lake in the middle of a large old farm (with an interesting history of it's own, actually -- which I'll tell another time.) And, it has nearly all those features I want in a home: quiet, surrounded by nature, lots of windows, lots of plants, real fireplaces, a sauna, a greenhouse, some quirky and colourful art work, lots of room to wander around in fields and woods...(we will deliberately not dwell in the down side aspects of old farmhouses, shall we?)


OK!! So I can't help it if I do live very near some million dollar summer homes on Sturgeon Point. It is interesting to walk along the Point and contemplate the lives of those who own those homes and maybe one of these days, I'll give you a walking tour of some of the most interesting ones along the lake. In the meantime -- ah! It's actually not possible to take the boat tour now either, because the locks are closed for the season. Sorry 'bout that.


(click on the picture to get a larger view)


The history is fascinating; the people have been coming here to summer homes for over a hundred years. I'm only starting to hear little bits of it and it's inspiring me to do some research...

This summer I met a marvelous lady with a slightly wicked sense of humour -- "We drink martinis!" -- who gave me a glimpse of some of the stories that abound here. However, since every hilarious, hysterical story she started to tell, she prefaced with "you can't write that down", I am obviously forced to search for the library for a more sober history to tell you about!
Oh, I hope it's half as interesting as the stories this lady hinted at!!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger IBOY said...

A picture tour of the grand houses around there would be neat!
Don

9:57 p.m.  
Blogger kate said...

Hi Kati,

I would have loved to listen to the stories along with you. When I clicked on the photograph, it wouldn't enlarge ... your surroundings must be idyllic!! I like the idea of space, water and lots of greenery.

11:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home