Saturday, September 01, 2007

a mad dash

I've just returned from a mad dash to Amsterdam. It is to be understood that I will have to go back to enjoy it at a more leisurely pace as soon as possible. This is just an appetizer, I hope, to a beautiful city!

The one thing that I most appreciated was the services for cyclists in the city. While Amsterdam is very walkable and the transit system is superb, cycling seems to be a very sensible and efficient way to get around the city. Absolutely everywhere, there are dedicated bike paths, traffic lights for cyclists, and bicycle racks near public buildings where one can secure one's bicycle. I left Amsterdam with the impression of hordes of incredibly fit, attractive, lean, long-legged cyclists in motion!
Such a presence of bicycles is something I have not seen lately in any other city anywhere, and although I discovered it pays to pay attention when crossing bicycle paths at any time (the cyclists can be ruthless!), I found it very, very pleasing!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hallo Kati, yes Amsterdam is wonderful, so beautiful. Perhaps a little bit to crowded at times. Spent a long weekend there is May. (Keukenhof)

1:28 a.m.  
Blogger kate said...

It sounds as if you had a great trip! There's something about seeing cyclists about that makes a place more inviting - I was surprised when I first moved here, how there were so few paths for cyclists. Now we are starting to see some dedicated lanes on streets for cyclists... it still isn't anything like Ottawa ... lots of cyclists there!

11:59 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

tyra, your descriptions of Keukenhof in May had a lot to do with my desire to go to Amsterdam on this trip. It was one of the factors that made me choose Amsterdam!

Kate, not having had the opportunity to visit Ottawa (I know, shame on me!), I'm pleased to hear that our country is not 100% dedicated to the automobile!

11:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home