Wednesday, September 19, 2007

it's my birthday

It's my birthday today and although I hardly think it's strictly true, it seems the whole world is conspiring to celebrate the day with me. It's one of those very mild, last-of-the-summer days when even the air, like the headiest mead, is intoxicating!


Through some of the red leaves of the Engelman's ivy and maples, sunlight glows like candle light through ruby glass. I've been stealing wild grapes, the sweet purple juice which stains my fingers and lips a dead give-away!

Some belated moisture has brought on a flush of bloom that will all too soon be nipped in the bud by frost. It has been threatened by the weather forecast for several evenings already, but so far, the frost has spared us. Blue jays are flocking, noisily discussing their plans for the winter. The unmowed square of "meadow" in my back lawn has erupted in a mass of black-eyed susans.



I feel restless. I know major changes must take place soon. I will have decisions to make, actions to take regarding all those tender potted plants out on the back deck...will I find a home for them, will they live on when the frosts come?
As I struggle with the slowness of dial-up internet access and the quirky nature of blogger with regards to uploading photos, a strange visitor appears outside my office window! I could not invent such a strange bug if I tried!

Misty in motion, appears to embody the way my thoughts have been behaving lately, flying improbably from idea to idea, firmly planted in the air as always!
Long time readers of this blog will understand that I'm in a weird limbo, an in-the-meantime place, where my future is not at all clear yet. All I know is that somehow, despite the terrible poverty and my complete helplessness in the face of it, the heartbreaking beauty of Ethiopia will not let me go. With no idea what I should do or how once I get there, except knowing that I must write about it, I want more than anything to get back to Ethiopia as soon as I possibly can.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth Young said...

The top photo of the spider web is absolutely gorgeous! And I hope you find what you're looking for in Africa. Africa is so rich and captivating.

9:52 p.m.  
Blogger andy said...

Happy Birthday, Kati!

I confess I'm not a frequent enough visitor to have picked up on the Ethiopia connection, but I'm intrigued so I'll have to delving in your archives now

1:18 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Kati! What a wonderful post--it does indeed seem as though the whole world is conspiring to celebrate with you. And I am happy to know that you still enjoy the wild grapes... such a youthful, slightly hedonistic, and wholly satisfying thing to do. :)

It's been years since I've seen a walking stick, so your visitor made me smile. I have that same large-leaf plectranthus and am determined to overwinter it... and I also have that fuchsia (or one like it, Koralle) planted with chartreuse coleus (a different on) but your pairing is much more elegant than mine turned out to me. I'm getting ideas. :)

8:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kati! What lovely flowers. Wish you well in deciding your future plans.

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope your wish to return to Ethiopia comes true for you.

9:21 a.m.  
Blogger Larry said...

A belated happy birthday to you, Kati! You blessed us with a nice avalanche of late-summer photos!

12:57 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home