Sunday, December 09, 2007

baby, it's cold outside



Looking down the lane:



Looking up the lane:


On the porch:


A couple of weeks ago, we had this lovely snow fall, so wet and heavy that lots of trees and branches came down under the weight. The old lilac by the lane in front of the house was severely damaged, one of the largest trunks snapping right off about 1 m from the ground, as the snow bent it just too far.

Before all the snow had a chance to melt, another storm last weekend had everything covered in very thick freezing rain and snow.

I drove home in the blizzard on Sunday night; the trip which usually takes me about 1 hr 15 min took about 2 hours. Somehow, I floated over the drifts of snow in my laneway, drifts consisting of deep soft (ie, soapy-slippery) snow, covered with a 2 -inch thick crust of frozen snow & ice. When I landed, I had arrived miraculously right at my back door, but the car sank in a drift, to be budged no more that night!

The next day, after a lovely long lie-in, I woke to hear the growl of a tractor. My landlords have hired a fellow to clear the laneway, and his tractor alarmed my dog. ("She's a female, isn't she?" he winked. "I never alarm the females!") He kindly helped me push my car out of its icy little rut, but in the process I nearly took off my driver's side door! Yup, too lazy to scrape all the ice off the rear window, I was backing up with my door open so I could look back through the open door. The fellow yelled just in time & I yanked on my door just before it was torn off by the tractor's rear wheel.

Well, all that trauma and hard work tired me right out, so naturally I went back inside to ... lie down!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Weeping Sore said...

Your photos are lovely to look at - from inside with a cup of hot chocolate. I particularly love the "Better Nests & Gardens" sign, which I presume is at the top of a bird house buried in snow.

2:40 p.m.  
Blogger Randa said...

Bad weather makes us do crazy things.

Nice scenery photos!

12:00 p.m.  
Blogger Linda said...

Beautiful snowy photos of the lane.

1:31 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I tend to complain about cold weather, but stories like yours remind me that things could be worse :-) Best wishes for 2008!

12:58 a.m.  
Blogger Sky said...

WOW - a lot of winter weather but a lovely snowfall, indeed! Such beautiful photographs. Thank you for sharing them.

Be safe and stay warm if it is still white outside. We only get a few dustings of snow each year and occasionally one will leave 6 or so inches on the ground. We are waiting for one like that now...hungry for the white landscape which brings such peaceful silence.

happy new year.

4:45 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's sad the damage caused by the snow but those are lovely shots. I have just a small urban lot. I'm down to 2 real trees, 3 just planted last year and more for sure this coming summer. But I long for forest.

I love your site. GD

6:10 p.m.  
Blogger IBOY said...

Well, at least it looks like you're getting some precipitation... even if it is all frozen.
Don

10:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home