Monday, April 11, 2005

conversations

I asked the question: If I could guarantee that you could do anything and that you would not fail, what would you do?

Surprisingly, most of the people I work with at my paying job had never really thought about it! Really. A couple people had some vague ideas of having more time for the crafts they don't have time for now...But Debbie! Now Debbie could picture it very clearly.

Debbie said: I want to have a garden store and in one part of it I want to sell my pottery and leaded glass work. And I want a little house, two bedrooms, one bathroom, a big kitchen because I like to entertain. It would be all windows across the side facing the lake. I want a house by the water because Bob likes to go away to go fishing, and this way, he could just step out our front door. There would be a workshop there where I could do my pottery and glass work.

Isn't that marvelous?

My head has just been popping with ideas of what I would like to do, once I heard that question suggested on one of T.Harv Eker's cd's.

But in any case, it's an interesting way to find out more about your friends, what is their secret passion? What do they dream about? Or your kids. You could ask your kids the same question.

Granddaughter made me laugh this morning. I stayed at Oldest Daughter's last night. They woke up before I did, and at some point in my sleepy state, I heard Granddaughter ask her Mommy for help to reach something. Then I heard her say to her Mommy, "Thank-you, Mommy. Mommy, you're so grownup! Mommy, you're so grown-up. Of course you are! Of course you are! ... Of course you are." She kept varying the emphasis and I think Mommy had long ago moved on to other tasks and didn't even hear Granddaughter practicing...

It made me chuckle because she was practicing phrases that she had heard, naturally, phrases that she didn't quite get completely, but phrases that she obviously liked the feel of, in her mouth. That was what her Mom used to do too at that age--over and over and over and over again. And I could tell, that her Mom was distracted too, not paying attention to Granddaughter, because she was trying to get everything together in order to take Granddaughter to the babysitter, and then get herself to work on time, just like I used to do when Granddaughter's Mommy was little. Some things do sort of repeat themselves from one generation to the next, don't they.

I'm excited to be off in the morning to Vancouver to surprise my Mom for her 80th birthday. I don't think she has any clue I am on my way. (unless she has figured out how to read this blog--then, I've just given the surprise away, haven't I?) I'll keep you posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home