Wednesday, February 01, 2006

deer & ice & books

One morning last weekend, as I was eating my breakfast, I looked out the dining room window and noticed deer making their way along the far fence line of the nearest field. Of course, I was extremely excited and called for Ann to have a look. She got out the binoculars and we counted three of them. They slowly made their way to the driveway, walked away from the house a bit, then they went into the second field, towards the north-east.

Misty and Tasha were sunning themselves on the back deck, so they were unaware of the deer for a long while. The deer zig-zagged across the second field which rises a bit towards the fence line on the east side. As they reached the fence, Molly, tied to keep her from car-chasing, noticed the deer and started barking. Misty and Tasha came racing around from the back of the house to see what Molly was so excited about. They quickly spotted the deer and their barking caught the attention of the deer. All three deer turned to look back at the house, staring this way for quite some time. Then, the white flag-tails went up, they bounced over the fence and away into the woods.

This afternoon, as I sat in the livingroom, reviewing a new yoga dvd before trying the practice, Misty and Tasha set up the alarm. When I got up to look, a deer stood in the cornfield just to the southwest of the house. It bounced around the field a bit, white flag up. The dogs ran eastward on this side of the fence then out into the field. The deer didn't seem to be in a panic at all, although the tail was raised. It sort of bounced farther out into the field, stopping a couple of times to look back at the dogs. When Misty made a decided pursuit, the deer finally stretched out into a swift bounding stride eastward toward the empty fields and woods. The dogs didn't really pursue it.

When I went out to bring the dogs in for their supper, today, I took a tumble on the ice that is all over the driveway. It was one of those slow-motion falls. I could feel the feet slide away to my left and forward, put out an arm to catch myself, and landed on my right hip. Darn, I think I'm going to have a huge bruize there. Ah well. It could have been worse.

I have been enjoying several novels lately:

Sue Grafton's P is for Peril, a murder mystery solved by a witty, flawed, female detective, Kinsey Millhone.

The Pagoda Tree, by Berkely Mather, is an adventure that takes our hero from England to Australia to Hong Kong to India and back to Hong Kong again. Quite a suspenseful romp!

Iris Murdoch's The Good Apprentice, is a thought provoking story about guilt and forgiveness, good and evil. I kept remembering as I read, the poignant line from the movie Iris about losing her words. The movie is the story of the author's mind, unravelled by alzheimer's, and her husband who loves her and tries to care for her.

La grosse femme d'a cote est enceinte, by Michel Tremblay, is a story about a neighborhood in Montreal, the war on the other side of the Atlantic, and conscription. There is not, strictly speaking a French-language section in my local library, never mind a foreign-language one. There are perhaps a couple dozen French and German classics, donated after being used by someone in high-school or college classes. They aren't even catalogued nor do they have a "due date card"! I do hope that situation improves. The librarian suggested I might have better luck at the main library in Lindsay...

I've also been reading some non-fiction:

Will Ferguson's Hitching Rides With Buddha, a Journey Across Japan. He is often very funny, particularly when he is upset or annoyed. A repeated disturbing note throughout the book is his observations on the blind nationalistic attitude of many of the Japanese. But Ferguson admits he loves Japan and keeps going back for extended stays.

Hope In Hell, Inside the World of Doctors Without Borders, by Dan Bortolotti is a fascinating look at the founder and the organization, with personal stories about the volunteers, and the poor and dangerous places in which they choose to work.

SARK's Make Your Creative Dreams Real, is funny and inspiring. "A plan for procrastinators, perfectionists, busy people, and people who would really rather sleep all day," the book is gentle and serious and enlightening. There are exercises, other resouces and inspirational stories. Unlike some of SARK's other books, large parts of this book are in a more conventional print vs her handwritten-in-coloured-pens style of some of her previous books. It's still very colourful, though, and packed with ideas. It would be a book I could keep beside my bed for months, dipping into it regularly to mull over a chapter or page at a time.

Well, I took a couple teaspoonfulls of Sweden Elixir, in the hopes that the bruizing won't be too ghastly on my hip...Now I'm thinking it's time for a little supper.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your tumble leaves you with little more than bruising. A year ago I twisted then leaned a bit further than Newton's Law allowed. Took as close to a stage fall as I could manage, and made certain my head did not make contact with the carpeted floor. Much to my surprise I finally had to visit my Dr. He said I had deep tissue or soft tissue bruising which was unlike any debilitation I had ever had before. Took about 3 weeks before I could return to work.

Enjoyed hearing about the deer which conjured mind pictures.

Books sound interesting. Am in a book drought for a while, but expect the spirit will soon move me and I'll make up for lost time.

10:08 p.m.  
Blogger Kati said...

Thanks, joared, for your kind words.It isn't going to be any worse than a big old bruize...

1:09 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home