Wednesday, April 20, 2005

back in the garden

Aaaaaah!

Working from the theory that my muscles were aching to be working in the garden, that's what I did all day yesterday. I raked leaves, picked up wind-fall branches and garbage. I burned some of the dead wood. I even got out to my old/former garden to retrieve some of my more precious plants. Back in January/February they were frozen in and my former landlords were ok with me coming back to dig them out now that the weather got warmer.

The theory was great....

I am in a lot of pain today. So much so that scary thoughts of what it could be have been running through my head! But what is worse is that I'm noticing that the pain is not always in one location. Maybe it is because, without being aware of it, I guard the muscle-group that hurts, so other areas are over-stressed? Anyway, it's another theory -- ha, ha.

What I do not understand is the amount of garbage strewn about into the stands of trees along the fence lines, around the yard perimeter. I'm talking serious garbage: cans, wire, shingles, paint cans, beer cans, furniture, toys, wood, plastic bags, cottage cheese containers, baby gates, more paint cans, bottles...you name it! Bizarre! I'm accustomed to a garbage heap perhaps in one location, but no, this is all over the place.

The sad part is that a serious gardener did once live here. There is evidence of daffodils, tulips, crocus, sedum, daylilies all along the fence line perimeter and many other places here. But it's hard going in there because the seedlings of the trees and weeds have been allowed to grow and now are quite untamed.

I guess that's the definition of a gardener. While Mother Nature has not made a single plant in vain -- I believe they all, yes every single plant, serve a purpose, even multiple purposes -- a gardener seeks to tame or contain nature, or to impose some preferential sense of order: the gardener's preferences, of course.

But how to explain the garbage? That is just plain carelessness and laziness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home