Tuesday, April 26, 2005

rainy weather

don't know why
there's no sun up in the sky
stormy weather...

That's a song, isn't it? But it has also been our reality for days now. The rain let up a bit today so that I could continue weeding the beds in front of the house. Those beds are on the north side of the house and I have a lot of transplants etc that I brought from the old place that will be very happy in the shade there. Once I get it weeded, that is. There are ferns, tawny day lilies (the common roadside variety), wild grape vines and tree stumps in there! And who knows what else. Ann says last fall when she weeded the west half of the front beds, she ran into lily-of-the-valley on that side, and I also suspect, goutweed. Yes, the dreaded goutweed! I haven't had the nerve to dig in and check it out for sure, but I do suspect....

No doubt, there were once tidy clumps of perennials, and the odd spring flowering bulb, but I decided the easiest thing here is to weed it all out, decided what I want to keep and after replenishing the soil, I'll put things back in my preferred order.

The hydrangea on the north-east corner also got a hair cut. It will be very nice and has fat leaf-buds already.

The other exciting thing was getting some laundry done. I couldn't hang them out on the line outside though, because we did get the odd rain shower today. But I did catch a glimpse or two of blue sky.

Yesterday, I was babysitting. Granddaughter has a stomach flu of some kind, and I was glad she didn't have to go out to the babysitter's. Usually her great-grandmother on her Dad's side babysits, but no need to send her there to infect the other kids when I was able to help out, right?

Granddaughter told me she has a black cat named Blackie, a purple dog named Purple, a goldfish named Orange, and a blue giraffe named Blue-ie, all upstairs in bed. And since she also has a baby-brother and a baby-sister and because they all have to sleep in a crib still, it's very crowded upstairs! And just in case I couldn't tell the difference, Granddaughter reminded me they are all "pretend". But, she assured me, she was going to ask Mommy and Daddy for a real baby brother and a baby sister, because her best friend Sadie has a baby brother now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home